It’s official. The honeymoon phase of our relationship is over. Sooo over! I’m talking about my 49 year-old modernist house, of course. (Because every minute with my husband of 18 years has been sublime, and exponentially honeymoony. Ha!)
It’s nothing I didn’t see coming. I knew this house needed a lot of work, and eventually the renovation would go from fun and games to a bit of a drag. But as the saying goes “No pain, no gain”, I am hoping the “gain” manifests itself soon, or I may LOSE MY MARBLES!
Don’t get me wrong, I still love my house.
Our relationship is much too strong to throw in the proverbial towel. I have seen it at its worst, looked beyond its rotting wood and peeling paint, and fell head-over-heels. And , inside, it cleaned up really well. So smitten with its new handsome maple floors and open-plan layout! Who says they’ll never change?
Outside, the transformation has been slow, and things seem to be going in the wrong direction. What was supposed to take the month of June, start to finish, is now in its 3rd month, with no end in sight. Why? This bad-boy of a house has some serious problems, more than first understood. Hint: That’s where this post is coming from.
And because no one likes a Negative Nelly, I want to assure you I have tons to be grateful for in terms of the house reno: (45 minutes later…) Well, I guess “tons” is a bit of a stretch, but I can say that I know in my heart that we will get the results we set out to achieve. It just might take a lot more time than expected (and our first-born’s projected college tuition – Sorry Kiddo!).
Enough chattering….Here’s the photo scoop from the past couple of weeks:
Just to be clear, the work shown above took about a week, and two of the days included a second “crew” on a second lift.
That Friday morning, there was an unfortunate (but not completely unexpected) discovery. When starting to replace the worst siding panels, it was determined the wood underneath was rotten in the areas by the fin walls/windows and compounding the problem, the windows were improperly installed and flashed. A meeting of the minds resulted in an entirely new plan. The fin walls were to come off. All of the siding was to come off. The soffits and venting completed the previous week would have to be redone. And when that got going, the observation of little/missing insulation in the walls led to upgrading the basic house wrap to a 1″ thick foam board. Ultimately, this was good for the house. But bad for the wallet. Gulp.
Working in sections, the guys removed the fin walls and put up the insulation panels.
I bet you may be wondering where we may be going with the design, now that we removed another original architectural element. Our architect came out and drew up another rendering. Here it is:
It’s kind of hard to see the details, but we plan to trim out the windows with larger vertical boards to create new, but less dramatic fin walls to contain the stained cedar accents. The decking on the balconies will be cedar, and the railings painted black. The siding material is still getting figured out, but we like the idea of painting it a dark charcoal.
As much as it’s difficult to be changing things up so late in the game, we know we need to do it right. In the meantime we will be practicing patience and hope the change-order monster stays away going forward!
Oh, and I wanted to share what we found when we returned from a 5-day vacation!