After some unanticipated delays (having to find another builder and weather conditions (darn Minnesota!)), we finally have lift-off on the exterior work. And as we wrap up the first week of this much-awaited phase of our renovation, I thought I should post and get you updated! Here’s a photo montage of week #1:
In addition to the batten removal, the guys started demo on the rotten decking of the two smaller decks.
On day #3 (this past Monday), the crew of two became three. I got them to stay still for a minute.
These guys worked all day tackling the master bedroom deck and then went way up to get familiar with the awnings….
The awnings on the second floor were too difficult to remove from above, so the next day a lift showed up:
So here we are, 5 days in. Things are going well, as far as I can tell. No big surprises. The plan is to get rid of all the rotten/rotting icky stuff. Bye, bye existing decks and canted awnings! An approx. 2 foot soffit will be added around the entire house to clean up the roof line, and we will be getting a new rubber roof (which is one of those things that cost a lot of money and go unseen–shoot!) At the time of this post, we have decided to rebuild a mini balcony off our daughter’s room (Shhh! It’s a surprise!), and one off the master. There are plans for a service door for the garage too. Other than that, it’s pretty much painting the whole house, and adding some stained cedar accents on select areas.
So glad to be back at it–making this house our home. And if you are wondering, I have more to talk about regarding the inside, just not more time today. Plus, I have kept you too long already! Thank you for reading and have a good one!