This Mod House Exterior Remodel Begins!

After some unanticipated delays (having to find another builder and weather conditions (darn Minnesota!)), we finally have lift-off on the exterior work.  And as we wrap up the first week of this much-awaited phase of our renovation, I thought I should post and get you updated!  Here’s a photo montage of week #1:

Image

Back side of the house, basically pre-reno. The guys begin by removing all of the batten trim covering the seams of the Hardie Board siding.

DSC_0531

Battens carefully removed. We will be reusing some of this material.

DSC_0536

In addition to the batten removal, the guys started demo on the rotten decking of the two smaller decks.

DSC_0558

Decking off daughter’s bedroom and upstairs loft on the front and side of house.

DSC_0562

This deck is totally rotten and getting totally removed.

On day #3 (this past Monday), the crew of two became three.  I got them to stay still for a minute.

DSC_0594

Introducing the exterior crew: Chris, Nathaniel, and Forrest

These guys worked all day tackling the master bedroom deck and then went way up to get familiar with the awnings….

DSC_0583

One thing these guys are not, is afraid of heights.

DSC_0585

As you can imagine, taking apart the awnings from above is slow and dangerous, at best.

DSC_0596

Dismantling the awning over the garage.DSC_0602

The awnings on the second floor were too difficult to remove from above, so the next day a lift showed up:

DSC_0604

Still dangerous, but so much better. The awnings (all 14 of them) come down much, much faster.

DSC_0618

Our two story window wall has lost its visor. The house is taking on a new look without the “diving boards”.

DSC_0623

Yesterday a meeting of the minds was taking place on the roof…

DSC_0627

They invited me up.

DSC_0635

Just hanging with the roofer (far left), James, Mike, and Forrest. James and Mike are the owners of the renovation company we hired for our exterior project.

So here we are, 5 days in.  Things are going well, as far as I can tell.  No big surprises.  The plan is to get rid of all the rotten/rotting icky stuff.  Bye, bye existing decks and canted awnings!  An approx. 2 foot soffit will be added around the entire house to clean up the roof line, and we will be getting a new rubber roof (which is one of those things that cost a lot of money and go unseen–shoot!)  At the time of this post, we have decided to rebuild a mini balcony off our daughter’s room (Shhh! It’s a surprise!), and one off the master.  There are plans for a service door for the garage too.  Other than that, it’s pretty much painting the whole house, and adding some stained cedar accents on select areas.

So glad to be back at it–making this house our home.  And if you are wondering, I have more to talk about regarding the inside, just not more time today.  Plus, I have kept you too long already!  Thank you for reading and have a good one!

Advertisements

6 comments

    1. Hi Doug,
      The roof-line is getting simplified. The awnings will be replaced with a soffit that comes out to the end of the fin walls and goes around the entire perimeter of the house. Thanks for the comment/question!

    1. Thanks for your comment! About the wood rot: It feels good to be getting rid of the most offending areas…Although, we do hope to salvage some of the decking off the master. It may mean a smaller deck than the original, and a few alternative ways to support it, but the expense of replacing all of the cantilevered beams is driving this decision.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s